AA/A Regional Strength

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
Bearhugger

AA/A Regional Strength

Postby Bearhugger » Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:24 pm

After the nine schools dropping down to AA and one wrestler transferring from George Washington to Hoover, AA has 179 wrestlers returning from last season’s state tournament.

Of these 179 wrestlers, 61 (34.08%) are place winners.

These 61 place winners are broken down by region as follows:

Region 1: 23 or 37.70% (23/61)

Region 2: 10 or 16.39% (10/61)

Region 3: 19 or 31.15% (19/61)

Region 4: 9 or 14.75% (9/61)

Use the numbers and draw your own conclusions.
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

coach_williams

Re: AA/A Regional Strength

Postby coach_williams » Fri Nov 04, 2016 6:48 pm

Not gonna lie. I am outright shocked to see Region 1 with such large percentage of the placers.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:30 pm

coach_williams wrote:Not gonna lie. I am outright shocked to see Region 1 with such large percentage of the placers.

Region 1 has the vast majority of schools that have longest lasting wrestling traditions.

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:46 pm

Bearhugger wrote:Region 1 has the vast majority of schools that have longest lasting wrestling traditions.

Last year my son wrestled middle school in region 1. I will be nice and just say that there must be some very special things going on at the high school level.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:38 pm

coach_williams wrote:
Bearhugger wrote:Region 1 has the vast majority of schools that have longest lasting wrestling traditions.

Last year my son wrestled middle school in region 1. I will be nice and just say that there must be some very special things going on at the high school level.

AA/A region 1 has been tough for over 20 years.

aacoach94

Postby aacoach94 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:05 am

7 of the top 12 teams in the 2016 state tournament are now in Region 1. Last year, Region 1 had East Fairmont, Oak Glen, Madonna, North Marion, and East Fairmont (in order of 2016 regional placement). Then this year, the SSAC thought it was a good idea to consolidate both panhandles into one region. This realignment brings over Petersburg, Berkeley Springs, and Keyser who finished 1, 2, 3 in the 2016 Region 2 tournament.

greencrush

Postby greencrush » Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:10 pm

coach_williams wrote:

Oak Glen won 13? consecutive state tournaments a while back. The Marion county schools have always been very tough, even in their AAA days. Region 1 is always tough, partially due to their close proximity to tough Ohio and PA wrestling. Some of the weaker schools tend to dodge this great chance at facing tough competition though. This may be why your experience left you unimpressed.
sentenceseller

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:59 pm

greencrush wrote:Oak Glen won 13? consecutive state tournaments a while back. The Marion county schools have always been very tough, even in their AAA days. Region 1 is always tough, partially due to their close proximity to tough Ohio and PA wrestling. Some of the weaker schools tend to dodge this great chance at facing tough competition though. This may be why your experience left you unimpressed.

Yeah, I new about OG from years ago. I was thinking more current. With that said, I somewhat unfairly base my assumptions on middle school wrestling. After being in the Coalfield Conference for years we moved up north (literally lived within rock throwing distance of the Ohio river) thinking we had moved into a super tough wrestling area. There are certainly some solid wrestlers up there, but in general I felt the competition was a notch below what we had seen in the southern and western part of the state.

Any idea what middle school feeds into Oak Glen?

IndyHart

Postby IndyHart » Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:32 pm

Oak Glen started their state title run the year after my brother, Jeremy, led Independence to its first state wrestling title in 1996. When their run ended, Jeremy had graduated from college and had an eight-year-old son. They scored over 200 team points at the state tournament for nine straight seasons. The accomplishments of those Oak Glen teams and Coach Shaw seem a little more amazing to me every year.

Gator

Postby Gator » Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:20 pm

I watched those Oak Glen teams when they dominated AA/A year after year. Coach Shaw's teams were always well coached and prepared to battle. Right now Independence is dominating the AA/A scene in much the same way. It's difficult to win every year, but building a winning program starts with youth wrestling and having those coaches on the same page as the successful high school program. I think that Oak Glen Middle School feeds that program.
Moderator WV Mat

greencrush

Postby greencrush » Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:53 am

coach_williams wrote:
greencrush wrote:Oak Glen won 13? consecutive state tournaments a while back. The Marion county schools have always been very tough, even in their AAA days. Region 1 is always tough, partially due to their close proximity to tough Ohio and PA wrestling. Some of the weaker schools tend to dodge this great chance at facing tough competition though. This may be why your experience left you unimpressed.

Yeah, I new about OG from years ago. I was thinking more current. With that said, I somewhat unfairly base my assumptions on middle school wrestling. After being in the Coalfield Conference for years we moved up north (literally lived within rock throwing distance of the Ohio river) thinking we had moved into a super tough wrestling area. There are certainly some solid wrestlers up there, but in general I felt the competition was a notch below what we had seen in the southern and western part of the state.

Yeah, it's hard to base anything on middle school wrestling. I can't even count the number of kids that I have seen start wresting as freshmen in high school, only to be competing for a state championship by their junior/senior year. Talent hides in strange places; some kids are just freakish atheletes or even have a mental toughness or strategic edge. Intangibles, if you will. As far as proximity to OH/PA, I think that area really benefits high school kids preparing for college, more than anyone else.

Yeah, Oak Glen middle feeds Oak Glen, as was already stated. Oak Glen has been dominant for ages, going back to their AAA days, just as East Fairmont and Fairmont Senior (the aforementioned Marion County Schools) were.

In any case, the kids who are able to seek out national level competition, and those who are exposed to top notch coaching will find success, regardless of regional affiliation.
sentenceseller

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:31 pm

greencrush wrote:
coach_williams wrote:

Yeah, it's hard to base anything on middle school wrestling. I can't even count the number of kids that I have seen start wresting as freshmen in high school, only to be competing for a state championship by their junior/senior year. Talent hides in strange places; some kids are just freakish atheletes or even have a mental toughness or strategic edge. Intangibles, if you will. As far as proximity to OH/PA, I think that area really benefits high school kids preparing for college, more than anyone else.

Yeah, Oak Glen middle feeds Oak Glen, as was already stated. Oak Glen has been dominant for ages, going back to their AAA days, just as East Fairmont and Fairmont Senior (the aforementioned Marion County Schools) were.

In any case, the kids who are able to seek out national level competition, and those who are exposed to top notch coaching will find success, regardless of regional affiliation.

Greencrush, you brought up the key word "intangibles". West Virginia has an army of wrestlers who have been wrestling all of their lives. They know how to do the sport. However, I think there is not enough focus on the intangibles. Strength training is sacrificed for extreme weight cutting or "staying small" in the off season. Box jumps and plyometrics are probably never done. Conditioning is still following the old school route rather than becoming more sports specific.

Wrestling can be viewed many ways. One viewpoint is you have to push, pull, lift, throw, sweep, trip, flip, flop your body weight as often as necessary for 6 minutes.

I wonder how many times a 145 pounder can bench press and squat 145 pounds? How many pull ups can they do? One or two reps isn't going to cut it, especially if you go to the NHSCA Nationals or the Super 32. 10 reps on the bench and 20 reps on the squat with your weight class is a good start. I guarantee most wrestlers cannot do this. However, I would wager that the majority of our NHSCA All Americans probably can.

Ditch cross country and replace it with running on a treadmill, at full incline, for 6 minutes. No treadmill available? Then run a hill for 6 minutes. Better yet, run a hill, pulling a tire for 6 minutes.

Ditch running stairs and replace with jumping exercises. Jump up the stairs.

A top notch wrestling room should have apparatus for pull ups and dips so the wrestlers can do these exercises everyday.

Lift weights year round and most important, do NOT cease lifting during the season. We all know what happens when you quit lifting for 2 to 3 months..............you get weaker. I would want to be my strongest and fittest around February's month end.

Of course in the end, everybody can and will do what they want.

Good luck to all.

Return to “High School Wrestling”