Regional Seeding

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
Bearhugger

Regional Seeding

Postby Bearhugger » Wed Feb 16, 2022 1:05 pm

Based on history and based on what is happening today, all regional seeding meetings are happening on different days of the week.

They should be required to be held on the same date and here is why.

Bugtussle High School of Region 5 has two hammers that nobody is going to beat. At the end of the season, they bump them up one weight class.

If regions 1, 3 and 5 have their seeding meeting on Sunday, then regions 1 and 3 cannot react to the shift in hammers' weights by Bugtussle High School of region 5.

In the meantime, regions 2, 4 and 6 see what Bugtussle has done with their two hammers. They have time to react whereas their seeding meeting isn't until Wednesday.

In summary:

1. If you do not agree with the logic above, then we should announce the Pill draw BEFORE all regional tournament are complete. Announce the pill and allow teams some advance notice to take a dive to help their pill draw. Logic is logic.

2. Look at the What's New section of WVMat. Regional brackets are trickling in. Seeding meetings are happening on Sunday, Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday.

3. Recommended solution: Make it mandatory that all seeding meetings must happen on the Sunday before regional tournament weekend. How do you make this change? You communicate to all schools that "all regional seeding meetings must take place on Sunday before regional tournament weekend".

4. If I can help, I will meet with the coaches' committee, the WVSSAC and the Hall of Fame and say "all regional seeding meetings need to happen on the Sunday before regional tournament weekend".

5. It shouldn't take 2 years to make such a change.

6. Otherwise, leave everything how it is and we will have more to talk about next season. Some coaches are making notes now and preparing new strategies for next season.

7. Lets do a test. Announce the Pill today. Lets see how the regional results play out. That should be fun.

GOOD LUCK TO ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

deepsouth

Re: Regional Seeding

Postby deepsouth » Wed Feb 16, 2022 1:12 pm

It doesn’t matter when the seeding meeting is. All the wrestlers half to have more then 50% of there weigh ins in the weight class they wrestle at regionals

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Wed Feb 16, 2022 1:15 pm

deepsouth wrote:It doesn’t matter when the seeding meeting is. All the wrestlers half to have more then 50% of there weigh ins in the weight class they wrestle at regionals

Correct me if I am wrong but anybody can go UP at any time they want. Please advise.

mscoach106

Postby mscoach106 » Wed Feb 16, 2022 1:17 pm

deepsouth wrote:It doesn’t matter when the seeding meeting is. All the wrestlers half to have more then 50% of there weigh ins in the weight class they wrestle at regionals

Not exactly. You have to have half of your weighins at the lowest weight class you want to participate in. You can actually go up 2 or 3 weight classes

Also for the lowest it isn’t the total weighins. It is the total weigh in from the Alpha Date for that wrestler.

So if a wrestler started the season on the fluffy side they could have an alpha date of last week. Weigh in that one time and be eligible for that weight at regionals

mscoach106

Postby mscoach106 » Wed Feb 16, 2022 1:18 pm

Bearhugger wrote:

Correct me if I am wrong but anybody can go UP at any time they want. Please advise.

Yep. A wrestler can go up to a class where he or she has never wrestled

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Wed Feb 16, 2022 1:19 pm

mscoach106 wrote:

Not exactly. You have to have half of your weighins at the lowest weight class you want to participate in. You can actually go up 2 or 3 weight classes

Also for the lowest it isn’t the total weighins. It is the total weigh in from the Alpha Date for that wrestler.

So if a wrestler started the season on the fluffy side they could have an alpha date of last week. Weigh in that one time and be eligible for that weight at regionals

Correct me if I am wrong, but anybody can go UP at anytime. Please advise.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Wed Feb 16, 2022 1:35 pm

mscoach106 wrote:
Bearhugger wrote:

Yep. A wrestler can go up to a class where he or she has never wrestled

Thanks Coach!!!!!!!

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Wed Feb 16, 2022 3:11 pm

I understand what you're saying. I had just thought of something similar when I noticed Spring Mills in a recent series of dual meets had shifted their lineup somewhat with Dolan and Jackson and others moving up weight classes. I hadn't really thought of the "regional strategy" you are speaking about. I also guessed they had merely done this to get some matchups that they found interesting, as it certainly was not so they would win the dual. It did get me thinking as to whether, for example, Dolan moving up and most likely winning the 113 pound weight class would help them get closer to Wheeling Park. I believe that actually would most likely be a bad move for them. At any rate, I get the point you're driving at.
Regarding moving up weight classes, I'm probably wrong and haven't looked up the rules but I thought one could only move up 2 weight classes above the weight they weigh in for, not 3.

dontlikethelights

Postby dontlikethelights » Wed Feb 16, 2022 3:41 pm

KDunbar wrote:I understand what you're saying. I had just thought of something similar when I noticed Spring Mills in a recent series of dual meets had shifted their lineup somewhat with Dolan and Jackson and others moving up weight classes. I hadn't really thought of the "regional strategy" you are speaking about. I also guessed they had merely done this to get some matchups that they found interesting, as it certainly was not so they would win the dual. It did get me thinking as to whether, for example, Dolan moving up and most likely winning the 113 pound weight class would help them get closer to Wheeling Park. I believe that actually would most likely be a bad move for them. At any rate, I get the point you're driving at.
Regarding moving up weight classes, I'm probably wrong and haven't looked up the rules but I thought one could only move up 2 weight classes above the weight they weigh in for, not 3.

I thought you could only wrestle one weight class above the one you weighed in at. I.e. if the wrestler weighed 109 lbs for 113, 120 would be the highest eligible weight class. As a disclaimer it has also been a while since I've looked at the rulebook.

beachbum1234

Postby beachbum1234 » Wed Feb 16, 2022 9:42 pm

Bearhugger wrote:Based on history and based on what is happening today, all regional seeding meetings are happening on different days of the week.

They should be required to be held on the same date and here is why.

Bugtussle High School of Region 5 has two hammers that nobody is going to beat. At the end of the season, they bump them up one weight class.

If regions 1, 3 and 5 have their seeding meeting on Sunday, then regions 1 and 3 cannot react to the shift in hammers' weights by Bugtussle High School of region 5.

In the meantime, regions 2, 4 and 6 see what Bugtussle has done with their two hammers. They have time to react whereas their seeding meeting isn't until Wednesday.

In summary:

1. If you do not agree with the logic above, then we should announce the Pill draw BEFORE all regional tournament are complete. Announce the pill and allow teams some advance notice to take a dive to help their pill draw. Logic is logic.

2. Look at the What's New section of WVMat. Regional brackets are trickling in. Seeding meetings are happening on Sunday, Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday.

3. Recommended solution: Make it mandatory that all seeding meetings must happen on the Sunday before regional tournament weekend. How do you make this change? You communicate to all schools that "all regional seeding meetings must take place on Sunday before regional tournament weekend".

4. If I can help, I will meet with the coaches' committee, the WVSSAC and the Hall of Fame and say "all regional seeding meetings need to happen on the Sunday before regional tournament weekend".

5. It shouldn't take 2 years to make such a change.

6. Otherwise, leave everything how it is and we will have more to talk about next season. Some coaches are making notes now and preparing new strategies for next season.

7. Lets do a test. Announce the Pill today. Lets see how the regional results play out. That should be fun.

GOOD LUCK TO ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Having all seeding meetings held at the same time isn't a bad idea really. It is a possibility too.

Return to “High School Wrestling”